Thursday, September 5, 2013

A Stitch in the Chain and RECRUITMENT TIME!

During a bored weekend I looked at some scrap pieces of fabric and blue thread that I had for some anther cross stitch project. The piece of aqua? light blue? fabric barely fit in my wire hoop but I got it to work. I started out with an anchor. Since I didn't have a fabric with distinct holes like I'm used too, I chose to stitch in what I call 'free hand,' which is just long singular stitches, not crossed.

I used 3 pieces of the darker blue thread for the anchor. I had to pause and think about how thick I wanted the anchor to be but I figured it out quickly. Looking at a single layer can help you determine how think you want it. After the base of the anchor I made the round top which was hard to do since I was working with straight lines. Then I added the top line, making note of the length to keep it even. I used the thread lines on the fabric to keep my lines straight though they were hard to count. I knew I'd have a hard time making a rounded points, so I made them go straight out from the base.

Using 3 pieces of the lighter blue thread, I tried to create a winding rope through the top hole and around the anchor. I found some white thread and used 1 strand to cross over the light blue rope. This added a nice look to the rope and gave a true nautical feel. Taking a strand of dark blue, light blue, and white I used this mixed color to create the waves at the top. I wish I could have done a better job with this element but straight lines don't make waves. Lastly I took 2 pieces of the light blue thread and make ∆ Γ to the left of the anchor. (I lost my picture and then I lost my anchor so I couldn't even retake the picture.)

I also recently found a website that had a lot of good tutorials and information called Needle 'n Thread. I also found a needlework shop in my town, which is just going to be dangerous, and am looking at their supplier which is Hoffman Distributing Company. There are a few anchor and nautical ideas that I'm thinking about getting.

From The Sunflower Seed, they had an Ichabod (my school mascot) and that's my current project. I also purchased letter patterns and plan to do a "Delta Gamma on the top and bottom of that fabric.
                                                                Alpha Kappa."

Another craft idea I've been thinking about is to get a white canvas board, light blue paint and dark blue paint. I have some Martha Stewart stencils that have a lot of nautical shapes which I'd do in a random order with the light blue paint. Then over the shapes I'd put "A champion in her absence and her friend always" since it's one of my favorite quotes. :)

Well it's recruitment time again and the crafts will start rolling out. I plan to do more sewing related gifts (that is if I get a little) due to the fact I'm in a costume design class. I snagged my mom's sewing machine and plan to become a stitching fool. My French seam is pretty good if I do say so myself - which I do say so.

Take care and do good,
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited to see what you do with all your crafts! I bet your ideas will get me crafting too.

    ReplyDelete