Monday, December 9, 2013

I Made a Skirt

As I've mentioned before, I'm in a costume design class. For our final project we had to take a pattern from the store and make it. I chose a pencil skirt with peplum and bow. I had a bit of a stumble with the back vent and how to insert the zipper when it came to it, but overall, I'm pretty darn happy with myself.

I've joked with my sisters that have seen my progress that I'm going to model the skirt around. They think I'm joking. Haha, jokes on you sisters. I am. I'm mega proud and I have to model it in class anyway so before I leave for class I plan on walking through the hallways saying, "Look at me sisters. Like my skirt? Oh ya - I MADE IT." Again, I'm really proud of what I've done in this class.

I'll post a picture of my complete outfit tomorrow but before that I'll include the instructions for how to insert a zipper. I think my teacher explained it really well for a person who has never done it before.

Baste stitch (the longest/loosest stitch you can make, it's not permanent) the seam closed (I overlapped my seam 1/8 inch)
Glue or hand stitch the zipper, having the zipper teeth following the baste stitch (the glue comes out with washing)
Using a zipper foot (it means change the metal foot on the machine so it has room for the zipper), stitch the zipper to the fabric
Using a seam ripper (you can buy them individually or they sometimes come in emery kits) remove the baste stitch

As my teacher makes sure my class knows, good pressing is good sewing - so iron afterward.

Take care and do good,
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. I am very jealous of the skirt you made. I wish I could sew. Maybe I will someday.

    ReplyDelete